Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bring on the Fall!



Fall is my absolute most favorite season of the year. I have to admit, though, that I am having a hard time adapting to the Ridgecrest version of fall. In Idaho, where I grew up, Fall was the season where everybody's apple tree had too many apples and invited us over to pick them. Fall was the time where you had to start wearing a jacket again. Fall was the time when big Potato trucks would appear on the roads and school got out for two weeks while the farmers harvested.

Here in Ridgecrest it is completely different. Fall is when you plant your garden again. It's when you can go outside again in the middle of the day because it is no longer too hot. And if you want to can or freeze produce you have to actually go buy the produce! BUY IT! Buying produce to store seems like an oxymoron to me since the only produce I remember canning or freezing was grown in our garden or given to us.

The worst thing about the Ridgecrest fall, though, is the lack of color. I miss living in Logan, Utah where you could take a drive into the mountains and see trees changing color all around you. It had a calming, gentle affect that made all seem well with the world.

But, as our green beans are sprouting and our roses are blooming I did come to accept that fall can be nice here too. It's just different and different isn't always bad.

Picture courtesy of:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/enjoylife/art/276578-11-autumn-colors-in-the-forest

4 comments:

Amelia Brame said...

Hahaha I know what you mean... here in Houston it's finally in the mid-80's! I don't think Fall will be here until December :)

Caz mom's Caz haz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caz mom's Caz haz said...

YEAH I CAN KINDA RELATE, BUT AFTER THE DEATH OF MY FRIEND A FEW DAYS AGO, I GUESS I FEEL LUCKY I CAN ENJOY ANY KIND OF FALL, FOR GINA SHE CAN'T ENJOY NOTHING! I GUESS IT FEELS REALLY SELFISH TO COMPLAIN. I AM SO BLESSED. I AM MORE AWARE NOW :)

Ratliffs said...

It's not even fall yet!!!!! Not for another month! Hang in there!

And, on the reverse side of what you were saying about free fruit...I would think it would be extremely weird to get all my fruit for free!! It's like Heaven when a truck spills TONS of grapes on the freeway, and because they're members, they offer all the fruit to the church! Just the other side of the fence... :)