Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Recommitment and Homeschooling Thoughts

I am recommitting myself (again) to posting one blog a day. I have so many cute pictures of the kids I'd like to post and some fun stories. I just need to make the time. So, hopefully, one blog a day (even if it's short) will help me to get caught up.

I was going to start my postings with one about the kids, but something happened with our homeschooling adventures that I'd like to write about.

After some attempts at homeschooling in the spring I was feeling frustrated and burned out in a matter of weeks. It was too difficult to find the time to create lesson plans, teach those plans, and then still have fun tiem with the kids and accomplish everything else I need to. I was so burned out! It took 3-4 hours of preparation for one hour of school. It was just too much.

So, Jim and I talked and decided to use the K12 program. The curriculum is created by professionals and we really are impressed with it. The books adn supplies and computer are provided and we have the support of the program and teachers in the program. Plus, because it is considered a public school where we live, it is paid for my our taxes.

I was so grateful to learn about this program and be able to use it. There was only one problem: other homeschooling parents see an online program like this as "cheating" or "the worst of both worlds." They feel that I am still subjecting my children to all the negative parts of a public school but taking my time away doing it. I see it as neither.

This established curriculum gives me the freedom to spend fun time wtih my children and it gives me a foundation to build off of on topics that I would like to add. It takes away the stress of designing curriculum and the time of preparing. Plus, I feel like it is right. So, for all of you homeschooling parents out there: No need to criticize my decisions. I am doing what I feel is right so you would just be wasting your breath arguing with me.

So, now I've got that off my chest I feel so much better. :)

4 comments:

Patty said...

Sounds great Celese. You're going to have an awesome year - I know it!

Ratliffs said...

I'm glad you found something that works for you!! I heard a lot of that kind of talk too! Just go with what feels right to you, and you'll always be doing the best for your kids! good luck with this new school year!

The HousewifeTravels said...

I was wondering if you were gonna stick with homeschooling. Glad you found something new to try. Hope it works out. I think the only compaint people would have would be the testing they subject the kids too but I don't know why else people would think ill of it.

The Winkel Family said...

Hey Celese, I think that is great. I have a lot of moms in my ward that are using this same program and love it. I hope it goes well for you and you enjoy teaching your children.