Sunday, April 8, 2012

My Conversation with Receptionist at Doctor's Office

Me: "I'm here to pay a bill."
Her: "What's the name?"
Me: "Celese Sanders."
{pause while she looks it up}
Her: "Hmm . . . you must mean \seh-lees\."
Me: "No, it's Celese."
Her: "Oh, you spelled it wrong. I'll put a 't' in it for you."
Me: "There is no 't'.
Her: "Oh, you say it wrong then. You mean \seh-lees\, right?"
Me: "No, I really don't. My name is Celese."
Her: "You should put a 't' in it."
Me: "I don't want a 't' in my name. My name is Celese with no 't'."
Her: "Then you say it wrong."
Me:  {Exasperated sound that really I can't write out other than "mgpppfff".}




Yup. That's how the conversation went.  And she was completely serious about it! Wow!

4 comments:

Ratliffs said...

Oh my!! I bet it was not any fun in the moment, but it made me smile!

The HousewifeTravels said...

That's all kinds of fun. That's why I give an alias when possible. I gave Cannon as my first name once and then proceeded to stick to my story when the woman said "no, your first name not your last name." How does she know Cannon isn't my first name? I always loved that as a first name. :)

Denise said...

I can understand why she might think it should have a t in it. What I can't understand is how, after being told that no, it does not have a t, she proceeded to tell you that you either spell or pronounce your OWN NAME wrong. What on earth?! Hilarious!

Bri said...

:) You would think a receptionist would be well practiced in being polite and playing the "the customer is always right" game.
I have to admit that when we moved in I called you Celeste for a long time before I realized the small change that I needed to make. You probably get that A LOT. This lady should know she holds the record for being rude about your name.