Friday, July 2, 2010

Fathers' Day 2010

As many of you know, I write a weekly article for the newspaper here. I enjoy writing. The Saturday before Fathers' Day, this was my article that was published.

I love Father's Day; it's one of the few days out of the year when I can show the men in my life how much they mean to me without making them think I'm going to ask for something. Although Fathers' Day has much less fanfare than Mothers' Day, I still think that men contribute more than we sometimes give them credit for.
For example, my husband can fix a leaking toilet and look good while doing it. I can't even fix the toilet, so I appreciate him so much in those moments.
Many men are so great at playing with the kids (and not feeling the least bit silly). The other day my husband helped my daughters make rocket ships out of cardboard boxes and they flew to all the planets in the solar system, and he taught them about each one. I got a text from him saying that they finally made it back to Earth (which is good, because I was getting worried)! My daughters talked about that trip for the next few days. I would have been too impatient to spend that much time with them, and would have felt silly trying to fit inside a box, but he had so much enthusiasm that the children hardly knew they were learning.
My Dad was the same way with us as we were growing up. I have fond memories of playing kickball (Dad against all the kids) and of working with him in the garden. My Dad is also the strongest person I know. I remember him lifting one side of a piano up a flight of stairs into our apartment while three guys took the other end. My Dad also is the best storyteller in the world. He can make people laugh. I also always admired how much he loves and protects my Mom. He was a wonderful example to me of what a husband and father should be. So, that's what I looked for in a husband.
One of my favorite things about our husbands and fathers is that everything feels right when they are home. I look forward to the time when my husband gets home every single day. I check out the window for the car probably a hundred times before he finally gets there. The kids are happier, I am happier, and our home just feels better with him there.
A good man also tries not to look frightened when you come out of the bathroom wearing a pale purple mask on your face (he may snicker some, but I actually don't blame him). A good man swallows the soup you cooked even though it was horribly salty and had virtually no other flavor (not speaking from experience, of course). A good man lets you follow your passion even though he may not understand it at all. A good man kisses you when he leaves for work and kisses you when he gets home because he misses you so much (and you miss him too!) A good man is willing to face the fearsome broken-down swamp cooler on the hot roof in the middle of the summer or to bravely go check on any scary sounds you hear in the middle of the night.
So, although the men may be content with a handmade card to celebrate Fathers' Day, I think it's only right to find a way to let them know that they mean so much more to us. I, for one, plan on grilling him a big steak and serving his favorite cheesecake for dessert. Then he'll know for sure I that love him!


. . . and I actually did make steaks and cheesecake. It was delicious!

Mmm . . . these steaks were so incredible!



The strawberry cheesecake

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Celese! I had no idea that you write for the local newspaper. That is beyond awesome!! And I love this article. It is so sweet, and so true! And that steak does look SOO good. The cheese cake too. Yum!!

Patty said...

Great article Celese! Can't wait to see you guys in a couple of days!!

Denise said...

Oh, I love this! I can totally see your dad hefting that piano. He's a good guy. All the Howard men are good guys (and they all seem to have that powerful farm boy thing going on, too!), which makes me awfully happy I married in. =)