Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thankful for the Hard Things

English author, Aldous Huxley wrote, “Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.” I've seen that to be very true. I am truly glad we have this time of year to remind us to be thankful.

Having gratitude isn't always easy, though. It can be sometimes hard to find things to be thankful for when we are facing difficulties. Thomas S. Monson said, “When we encounter challenges and problems in our lives, it is often difficult for us to focus on our blessings. However, if we reach deep enough and look hard enough, we will be able to feel and recognize just how much we have been given.” I decided to give it a try, and throughout my day I looked for things to be thankful for – especially at the moments when I wasn't feeling thankful. This is the list I came up with.

I am thankful for socks on the floor. It means my children have clothes.

I am thankful for dirty dishes in the sink. It means my family has food to eat.

I am grateful for sticky floors and walls with fingerprints on them. It means my family has somewhere to live.

I am thankful that I had to replace lightbulbs today. It means my family has electricity.

I am thankful that I have to clean dust off of all the furniture. It means we have couches, tables, and chairs.

I am thankful that I could carry around my son when he was crying. It meant that I had the strength to take care of him.

I am grateful that money has been tight. It has made us realize the importance of paying off debts and of saving.

I am grateful for dirty footprints on the carpet because it means my children were able to play in the beautiful weather without fear of violence, riots, or warfare.

I am thankful for a ring around the tub because it means that my children were able to take a nice warm bath after playing outside.

I am grateful for junk mail. It is great fire-starting material for the fireplace.

I am grateful to work. It helps us balance our budget.

I am grateful for the toys that I stepped on in the middle of the night because it means my children have things to play with.

I am thankful that I had to vacuum piles of sand out of my van. It means we were able to go somewhere fun and spend some time together as a family.

I'm grateful when it is hot because then I have an excuse to go swimming.

I'm grateful when it is cold because then I have an excuse to drink hot chocolate.

I am thankful for the piles of laundry that are ready to fold. It means that we have a washing machine to wash our clothes.

I am grateful that I have to mow the lawn because it means we have a lawn for our kids to play on.

I am grateful I have to pay bills. It means we have hot water, a heater, and indoor plumbing.

I am thankful that I am so exhausted each night. It means that I worked hard, and was able to have the health and energy to care for my family.

Last, but not least, I am grateful to live in a land that provides me with the freedom to write my thoughts and the feelings of my heart and to be able to share them with others.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

So beautifully put!

MHS 2002 said...

I love reading your blog!!! I could not help but leave a comment of thankfulness for your writing. Your post are humorous, filled with gratitude, but refreshingly honest about real life. Your writing talents make me smile.