Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Power of Pepper

I learned this week that pepper spray would be painful. And I don't mean a little bit painful -- I mean a whole lot painful.

It all started when I took a shower while the girls were watching a movie. When I got out of the shower Violatte was rolling on the floor screaming like she was in pain. I couldn't figure out was wrong . . . until I smelled pepper very strongly. I went on a search and found our large container of pepper dumped out and all over the floor and table. It suddenly hit me why Violatte would be so miserable. I rushed her to the sink to rinse out her eyes and mouth and face and while I was splashing water on her I saw Annalee rub her eyes, and before I could stop her she was screaming too.

I spent the next twenty minutes switching girls between splashing water on their faces and holding a cold wet cloth to their eyes while I splashed the other girl's face. It was a mess. We were all soaked. I stripped off their clothes since they were also covered in pepper, wrapped them in blankets, and had them lay on the floor in the front room with wet clothes over their eyes. I opened all the windows to air the pepper smell and taste of the air out of the house.

Just then the doorbell rang. It was a friend of mine. I debated opening the door, but since the windows were open and I knew she could hear the girls screaming and knew I was inside, I opened the door. Then, I realized I was in only my robe and I felt so stupid. She took one look at the girls' swollen red faces and me in my robe with my hair still wet and I knew she could tell it had been an insane day.

Thankfully, Jim came home to pick up some things. All the girls had wanted was Daddy and the moment he came they calmed down and everything seemed better.

All that night, while I was at work, I tasted and smelled pepper. I think I have a fear of pepper now.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh, how awful. I am so glad my girls haven't gotten into anything that could hurt them yet.

Andrea said...

We had a similar experience to this but it was with Dawn dishsoap. That was terrible and there was lots of water, bubbles and screaming. Luckily Peter was home so I didn't have to deal with it alone.

Bri said...

Yikes. I'm glad Jim came home and someone stopped by that could help. It's moments like that that you wish you could have someone to come over, but by the time you call them and they get there, the crisis is normally over.

M&EMS said...

I'm glad that you were able to figure it all out. I bet the girls won't mess with pepper anymore. ;) Poor things.

Melissa said...

Wow, we haven't had that experience yet, note to self, "Put Pepper one shelf higher!":)

Sophie said...

I'm glad it wasn't pepper spray. Way to keep your cool mom! You are awesome!