Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Final Update

First of all, I want to thank everyone who has kept our family in their prayers these last few weeks. I just returned form the doctor's office and thought I would post the results. The biopsy showed that the mass on my thyroid is Benign. I was so relieved to hear this! However, the results said that because the results are not always 100% accurate it recommends closely monitoring it and recommends surgery to remove it.

The doctor said that she definitely recommends taking out the mass and would plan on doing the surgery in 6 months or so. I do not think I want to wait quite that long, so we'll see what the new doctor says when I have my appointment with him/her.

Thanks again to all you who care and have been concerned with us. It means so much to us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

if nodule is not solid the PEI injection treatment can be attempted.
Unless nodule causes compressive symptoms or grows rapidly, conservative monitoring is suggested

Celese said...

Yeah, the nodule is solid, so that complicates things. Plus, it is growing very very rapidly and it feels like it's choking me already. I just don't think I can wait six months. It already worries me so much! Thanks for the tips, though.

Sophie said...

Wow, crazy stuff! I've had two other friends with nodules growing on their necks too. Good luck! We'll keep you in our prayers. Sorry I haven't kept in touch lately, my surgery has set me back a bit.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the internal bleeding happens to be inside the small nodule so it grows like balloon. The acute bleeding stops by itself in few days however small additional doses of blood infiltrate into the nodule causing additional grow. On the ultrasound this type of BENIGN nodule shows up as the solid one with worrisome features. If this bleeding is caught early, the above mentioned PIE can be used for it but if most of the blood dried inside, surgical removal can be a treatment choice.
Good luck!!!!

M&EMS said...

Good Luck Celese! Glad to hear it is benign, but I wouldn't wait 6 months either. ;)

Bri said...

I'm so glad that things are looking positive. Let us know if you need anything.