Friday, September 26, 2008

10 Quirky Things about Ridgecrest


The other day I went on a walk with a friend of mine and we were talking about some interesting things about Ridgecrest. It is a quirky town, but I love it, so here are some original things about this town that we live in.

1. Lots of people bike and walk. This is one of the first things I noticed, and I love it. I also learned that at 5:30 ish in the morning there are even more than I see at any other time during the day. You don't see as much when it is crazy hot in the summer, but the rest of the year, people are keeping pretty fit.

2. There are more motorized wheelchairs per capita than probably any other city. It's amazing how many you see rolling down the road.

3. No mosquitos. I love this one. I guess there are perks about it being so dry.

4. There are so many ants! I mean sooooooo many ants! It is an ongoing battle in almost every home. Ants vs. people.

5. Acronyms. I don't know if it's because most people work for the Government but there are acronyms for everything (Government-realted or not). For example, the school district's acronym is SSUSD.

6. One quirk that I do not like is that there is so much litter. I know that people say it is because of the wind. I will admit that the wind gets pretty crazy (as high as 75 mph I've heard) but, seriously. Litter just does not appear because of wind.

7. Lack of doctors of every kind. How can a town full of smart, brilliant engineers have such and incredible shortage of physicians and decent medical care. So, if anyone out there knows a good doctor looking for a place to work -- send them to Ridgecrest!!! We are begging! There also seem to be a shortage of teachers, nurses, police -- pretty much everything but engineers.

8. Fireplaces. As we were looking to buy a house we noticed that most of the homes had a fireplace -- in the middle of the desert -- go figure!

9. This town is very patriotic. I love this and I have to say that it has done good things for me. With most of the town working on the base or in the Navy this whole community has a strong sense of patriotism.

10. Churches. This was one of the first things that amazed me. There are more than 30 churches in this small town. I love that everyone is religious. I think it makes the community a better place.

Despite all it's quirkiness, we love it here. It's a great place and we are so happy that we have a great town to live in!

1 comment:

Ratliffs said...

We are happy to have you here! :D I must have missed this post...lucky thing I was looking back to see if there were any pictures of you with longer hair! (bangs actually) It was nice thinking back about our walk and laughing (again) about all the funny things that make up our town :D.