Sunday, October 5, 2008

Family Time


Today we watched the General Conference and listened to the Prophet of the Lord speak to us. The main thing that he talked about that really hit me was as he talked about how children grow up and move away and how a parents often feel pangs of regret for not doing more with their children.

I also had watched a special program before the closing session of Conference called "Real Families, Real Solutions." This episode was about Protecting Family Time. As I watched I could feel how important it is to have family time together and how much it means to the children. I made a commitment right then to spend more time with my children.

Now, I have to say that this is not an easy thing for me to do. I like to keep busy and get things done. When children help with anything, it takes so much longer. Also, if I take the time to play with them I am not getting work done that I need to.


But, I decided to commit to it so today I decided to try it out. I had gotten the ingredients to make a special cheesecake for Jim. Cheesecake is his favorite and I found an amazing recipe that I wanted to try out. The girls and I giggled in the kitchen as we made this "surprise" for Daddy. They were so excited! We even added a little decoration on top. It turned out to be so much fun and I noticed the girls were happier all evening than they had been the rest of the day. Jim even had a fun idea to put a candle on it and take turns blowing it out to celebrate our "un-birthdays." The girls thought that was such a great idea. We all made a wish and blew out the candle.

Not only did I spend time with my children, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Families truly are the center of God's plan and I know that is where we will find true happiness.

1 comment:

Ratliffs said...

I only caught half of that talk (getting ready for a prop 8 meeting) but I LOVED it! I'm going to have to listen to it again. It also really hit me hard. I know that whenever my kids start acting up, it's usually because I've been super busy with something and haven't taken the time to play with them (or have them help me). It is so important, and often times, it's the little things that make them happy. It is also one of the easiest things to let slide. I was very grateful for the Prophets reminding words on this important topic.